In this tutorial we will be learning how to use Cydia Impactor on a Mac and what Cydia Impactor is, but the app is available for Windows as well and the steps are pretty similar. At the end of this tutorial I’ll teach you a Windows 10 tweak for it to work so you should be fine on both operating systems.
What is Cydia Impactor
Cydia Impactor is a desktop application for available Mac, Linux and Windows. By using this tool you can install IPA files on iOS (iPhone, iPad and iPhone Touch) and APK files on Android devices.
- IPA files are applications designed for iOS devices
- APK files are applications designed for Android devices
Some IPA and APK files are not accepted in Apple’s App Store or Google’s Play Store, or just the developers do not want to send their app trough those official sources, and, in order to be able to install such apps on your iOS device Cydia Impactor comes in handy.
To download such apps there are various libraries out there like this one. All you need to do is Google.
How Cydia Impactor works
Apple let’s developers to test their apps locally before submitting to Apple Store so apps can be installed trough tools like Cydia Impactor which emulates Xcode, Apple’s developer tool kit, but the app must be signed in order to run on your iOS device. So you will need an Apple ID in order to install third-party apps on iOS.
- If you have a regular account, your signature will be accepted to test your app for 7 days.
- If you have a developer account, your signature will be accepted to test your app for 1 year.
The apps that that are distributed trough unofficial sources are usually not signed by Apple. This means that you, the Cydia Impactor user will become the “app developer” so depending on your Apple account type, you’ll need to reinstall the IPA file after 7 days or 1 year.
On your iOS device you are able to test any developers app, including yourself, but before being able to open the app, you’ll need to manually trust that app developer, including yourself again. This procedure needs to be done after each install cycle.
Tu trust a “developer” in your iOS device, go to Settings – General – Profiles or Profiles & Device Management and tap on trust your Apple ID (when using Cydia Impactor).
When Cydia Impactor will ask for your Apple ID it will be sent directly to Apple to sign your app, so don’t worry, this information is not stored anywhere.
Download and install Cydia Impactor on Mac
- Download Cydia Impactor from here.
- Open de downloaded DMG file.
- Drag Cydia Impactor to your Applications folder.
Install IPA files using Cydia Impactor
- Download the IPA file you want to install on iOS.
- Open Cydia Impactor.
- Connect your iOS device to the computer using the USB cable.
- Drag the IPA file over Cydia Impactor and add you Apple credentials.
- Go to Settings – General – Profiles or Profiles & Device Management on your iOS device and trust your app.
- Enjoy the third-party app.
If Cydia Impactor is not finding your device
- Make sure you are signed into iTunes.
- Unplug your iOS device from the computer.
- Close Cydia Impactor.
- Plug in your iOS device again.
- Make sure your screen is unlocked.
- Start Cydia Impactor.
On Windows 10, right click on Cydia Impactor, go to Properties – Compatibility Settings – choose Windows 7.