Download and Install GBA4iOS:
Going right back to the beginning of jailbreaking days, probably the main reason for hacking an iPhone was so that users could play games via emulators, like NDS, GBA, or PS games. GBA4iOS is one of the most popular emulators in recent years because it allows iPhone users to play Game Boy Advance games on their mobile devices.
In addition, GBA4iOS uses Apple’s own certificates to allow users to install the emulator – it doesn’t need a jailbroken device in order to work.
We know that Apple closes these loopholes quite quickly by revoking the certificate that’s used, but now we have a new version of GBA4iOS available. With the return of emulator GBA4iOS last week you shouldn’t have any problems with iOS 11 or below without having to jailbreak your iPhone.
This means that, once again you’ll be able to use GBA4iOS to play Gameboy games, including romhacks, on your iPhone. Very cool, hey!
As for the good news, many other emualtors continue to run and work great past iOS 11. These emulators and apps include the much beloved GBA4iOS, nds4ios, Provenance, iTransmission and many others. Keep a watchful eye on any errors you might see on this new version and report it to us!
But, as always with GBA4iOS, Apple are constantly releasing updates that will render the emulator useless, so this can’t last forever.
Download and Install ROMs for GBA4iOS
GBA4iOS 2.1 works with iOS 8.1 to iOS 9.0, 9.1, 9.2.1, 9.3, 10.0, 11 and hopefully above. In order to put GBA4iOS 2.1 through its paces you’ll need to install it and get your ROMs into it, because this emulator has a lot more to offer. Here are our instructions for installing the emulator :
- On your device, open Safari then navigate to iemulators.com/gba4ios;
- Tap the GBA4iOS 2.1 button then hit “Install”;
- When you receive the pop-up requesting confirmation, tap “Install” again;
- You’ll have a new GBA4iOS icon on your home screen once the installation is complete. If you’re using iOS 10, go to Settings – General – Profiles: select the certificate that starts with ‘CMN..’, then on the following screen hit the Trust option.
Please Note: If you’re using an older version of iOS you simply launch the app from the Home screen, and when you get the confirmation pop-up simply hit “Trust“.
Now you have your emulator installed and ready to use, so get some ROMs for your favorite Game Boy Advance games (they’re easily found on the web). Just open GBA4iOS app on your iPhone and tap on the Search icon; go to Google’s homepage where you can search and download GBA ROMs directly on your device.
Now that you’ve successfully installed GBA4iOS on iOS 11 you need some GBA ROMs to play Gameboy games. Not only can you download your favorite ROMs within the application, you can also sync them with Dropbox.
Now that the ROMs have been downloaded, you need to enable DropBox Sync: this saves the ROMs to your DropBox account so that you’ll be able to use them on all your devices.
- First of all you need to install DropBox on your device. In order to activate DropBox Sync, go to Settings within the application;
- Next, scroll down and locate the “DropBox Sync” option;
- By default this will be turned off, so you should enable this and grant the necessary permissions. And to ensure that you’ll never lose any data, you can also sync Saved Game Data.