Last week, we reported that Jonathan Levin, technical director of information security at Technologeeks, developed his own jailbreak solution for Apple TV 4 and soon will be available for download. However, he did not disclose what other firmware will be supported by this free jailbreak tool and did not specify the exact release date.
As promised, the release of a new tool for jailbreaking Apple TV 4 become reality a few days after the announcement. According to Jonathan Levin, the preliminary beta testing of this jailbreak tool, called LiberTV, was successful, so he decided to make it available to all Apple TV 4 owners. In fact, LiberTV is adapted for Apple TV using the Yalu tool from Luke Todesco, that is available as an IPA file.
Before using LiberTV, you need to know a few things:
- The first LiberTV version allows you to jailbreak Apple TV 4 only with tvOS 10-10.1. Support for tvOS 9.1 will be available in the next update.
- LiberTV does not work on Apple TV 4 with the current tvOS 10.1.1 and when it appears its support is not yet known.
- The jailbreak is semi-untethered, which means that LiberTV will be installed after each restart of the set-top box.
- Initially LiberTV does not include Cydia and does not support Cydia Substrate.
- nitoTV for LiberTV is under construction, do not install it, if you do not want to get serious problems.
- LiberTV disables the automatic update of the operating system on Apple TV 4.
- The DropHear SSH client is available for working with the file system.
As you can see, at the moment LiberTV jailbreak has a number of restrictions and for the average user it makes no sense to use it at least until the developers have finalized their applications. Jay Freeman, the developer of Cydia, will not release its new version compatible with Apple TV 4.
However, these are just recommendations, you can use LiberTV right now or wait a bit, it’s up to you. You can download LiberTV from this link.